Nineteenth Annual African American Art Exhibition
submission deadline for the 2013 African American art exhibition is October 16, 2012!
About the African American Art Exhibtion
The Nineteenth Annual African American Art Exhibition at Actors Theatre of Louisville will run from January 7 through February 17, 2013. The exhibition is not theme-specific. Actors Theatre is a not-for-profit professional regional theatre located in the heart of downtown Louisville, Kentucky. Over 20,000 theatre and arts patrons view the exhibition, which has become a popular highlight of the region’s visual arts season.
Kevin Cole received his B.S. from University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, an M.A. in Art Education from University of Illinois at Urbana and a M.F.A. from Northern Illinois University. In the last 15 years he has received over 80 awards for his artwork and his teaching, 18 grants, 14 fellowships, 49 awards in art and 31 teaching awards. His artwork has been featured in over 400 exhibitions throughout the United States which includes 56 solo exhibitions, 99 group exhibitions, 91 juried exhibitions and 99 invitational exhibitions. Mr. Cole has created 30 public works in the last 15 years and his artwork is included in over 800 public, private and corporate collections throughout the United States.
Rules for Entry Submissions
1 Original artwork in all media, properly matted and framed, in ready to hang condition will be exhibited. Sculpture must be light enough for two people to handle. Artists may submit work with special installation requirements only if artist is available to install and remove. Actors Theatre reserves the right to refuse any work that presents complex installation problems and/or is not acceptable for presentation.
2. All artwork must be original.
3. All artwork must be available for display and sale during the exhibition.
4. Up to 6 works may be submitted per artist with 1 slide/image for each two-dimensional piece [3 different views (slides/images) must be submitted for any three-dimensional piece].
5. 50 word artist biography and 50 word artist statement must be included with entry.
6. All entries are REQUIRED to include full contact information (name, address, phone number and e-mail) and provide two (2) self-addressed, stamped envelopes for slide return and acceptance package.
7. Mail Entry Packet to:
African American Art Exhibition
c/o Sara Durham
Actors Theatre of Louisville
316 West Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202-4218
1. Artists are responsible for roundtrip shipment of their artwork to and from Actors Theatre in Louisville, Kentucky. Return packing postage must arrive with artwork. (Further details will be provided following acceptance).
2. For local artists, self delivery can be scheduled by appointment. Call Sara Durham at 502-584-1265 x3145 to schedule. (appointments between 9 am — 4 pm only.)
3. Accepted works will be insured while on Actors Theatre’s premises through the run of the exhibition.
4. Cash prizes will be awarded after signed forms have been returned.
5. Actors Theatre retains 40% commission and charges 6% Kentucky Sales Tax on all work sold.
The quality of your slides/images will influence the Juror’s decision.
1. Slides or digital images will be accepted. Images pasted into the body of an e-mail will NOT be accepted.
2. Digital images must be sharp and have minimum dimensions of 2048×1356 pixels, submitted in both EPS and PDF formats, in CMYK on CD.
3. Images must definitively reflect the artwork submitted.
4. Accurate labeling of images is essential.
5. If submitting digital files, include a reference sheet with the information below.