About The National Ten-Minute Play contest
Established in 1989, the National Ten-Minute Play Contest remains one of the most enduring and significant means by which the literary staff at Actors Theatre of Louisville connects with American playwrights and is introduced to vibrant new voices for the stage. We consider all submissions for the Heideman Award—a $1,000 cash prize given out each January—as well as for production in the Apprentice/Intern Tens and the Humana Festival of New American Plays.
An annual event that takes place in January, the A/I Tens consist of a bill of 8-10 world premiere ten-minute plays, fully produced at Actors Theatre of Louisville and performed by our Apprentice Company of young actors.
- Scripts should be submitted between September 1-November 1 (postmark dates).
- Characters in submitted plays should be in the age range 18-28.
- Each script must be no more than ten pages long. (We start counting pages after the title page and character list, if applicable.) Title page must include the playwright’s name, address, phone number and e-mail address. Each manuscript must be typed and individually bound or stapled.
- Each playwright may submit only one script—send us your best!
- Previously submitted plays, plays that have received an Equity production, musicals, children’s shows, and any unsolicited longer one-act or full-length plays are not accepted and will not be returned nor receive a response. Plays that have received Equity waiver showcase productions are eligible. Playwrights must be citizens or permanent residents of the USA.
- We are unable to accept electronic submissions. Please mail submissions to: National Ten-Minute Play Contest, Actors Theatre of Louisville, 316 West Main Street, Louisville, KY 40202-4218.
- Submissions are limited to the first 500 scripts we receive each year. If your play is received after we’ve hit the 500-script mark, you will be notified. Entries will be acknowledged by postcard in December. Playwrights will be notified of their finalist or non-finalist status the following summer. No scripts will be returned.
- The volume of scripts submitted hampers our ability to comment individually on each work, so we do not offer criticism.
- All ten-minute plays will be considered for the Heideman Award ($1000)*, as well as for production in the Apprentice/Intern Tens and the Humana Festival of New American Plays.
*The Heideman Award was established in 1979. Made possible by the late Ted Heideman, a Louisvillian, the $1,000 cash prize is bestowed annually upon the winner of the National Ten-Minute Play Contest (1990 – present).
Next Submission window
The submission window for the 2014 National Ten-Minute Play Contest has now closed.
We will accept submissions for the 2015 National Ten-Minute Play Contest from September 1 – November 1, 2014 (postmark dates).
Address Submissions to:
National Ten-Minute Play Contest
Actors Theatre of Louisville
316 West Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202-4218