23rd African American Art Exhibition
Submission Deadline for the 2016 African American Art Exhibition is October 17, 2016!
About the African American Art ExhibItion
The 23rd African American Art Exhibition at Actors Theatre of Louisville will run from January 3 through February 17, 2017. The exhibition is not theme-specific and accepts submissions from a variety of art forms. Actors Theatre is a not-for-profit professional regional theatre located in the heart of downtown Louisville, Kentucky. Over 20,000 theatre and arts patrons view the exhibition, which has become a popular highlight of the region’s visual arts season.
About the Juror
Kevin Cole received his B.S. from University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, an M.A. in art education from University of Illinois at Urbana and a M.F.A. from Northern Illinois University. Within the last 25 years, he has received more than 74 awards for his art work and his teaching. Cole’s artwork has been featured in more than 450 exhibitions and is included in more than 1,500 public, private and corporate collections throughout the United States. Cole has also created more than 30 public art works, including the Coca-Cola Centennial Olympic Mural for the 1996 Olympic Games. His artwork has also been featured in more than 106 publications. Cole is represented by Hearn Fine Arts in Little Rock, Ark., the Sande Webster Gallery, Philadelphia, Pa., Golden in Denver, Colo., International Visions Gallery in Washington, D.C. and September Gray Fine Arts in Atlanta, Ga., and Chicago, Ill. Cole is also an Art Consultant for Savannah College of Art & Design in Atlanta, Ga. Artistkcole.com
Rules for Entry Submissions
1. Artists submitting to the exhibition should self-identify as descendants of the African diaspora.
2. Artwork should be properly matted, framed and in ready-to-hang condition, if applicable. NOTE: The Actors Theatre Gallery cannot support any artwork that has an installation requiring mounting to a wall for display.
3. Mixed media artwork and sculptures must weigh no more than 75 pounds and must be no more than 7 feet tall. Artists may submit work with special display requirements only if artist is available to install and remove. NOTE: The Actors Theatre Gallery reserves the right to refuse any work that presents complex installation problems and/or is not acceptable for presentation.
4. All artwork must be original.
5. All artwork must be available for display and sale during the exhibition.
6. Up to six works may be submitted per artist with one slide/image for each two-dimensional piece. Three different views (slides/images) must be submitted for any three-dimensional piece. NOTE: Submission imagery needs to be high-res (300dpi) if submitted digitally. Please see “Image Presentation” information below.
7. 50-word artist biography and 50-word artist statement must be included with entry.
8. All entries are REQUIRED to include full contact information (name, address, phone number and e-mail).
How to submit your entry
Mail Entry Packet to:
African American Art Exhibition
c/o Roanne Victor
Actors Theatre of Louisville
316 West Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202-4218
Email Entry Information to:
Marketing & Communications Coordinator
NOTE: Actors Theatre reserves the right to refuse any work that does not meet these requirements.
The quality of your slides/images will influence the Juror’s decision
1. Slides or digital images will be accepted. Images pasted into the body of an e-mail will NOT be accepted.
2. Digital images need to be submitted in a high-resolution (300dpi) JPEG format.
3. Images must definitively reflect the artwork submitted.
4. Accurate labeling of images is essential.
5. If submitting digital files, include a reference sheet with the information below.
* Artist’s name
* Title of work
* Arrow indicating top
* Framed/finished dimensions (height, width and depth)
NOTE: If submitting digitally, please name image file with title of work.
1. Artists are responsible for round-trip shipment of their artwork to and from Actors Theatre in Louisville. Return postage MUST be included with accepted artwork package. (Further details will be provided following acceptance).
2. For local artists, self delivery can be scheduled by appointment. Contact Laura Humble at 502.584.1265 x3145 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule. (Further details will be provided following acceptance.)
3. Accepted work will be insured while on Actors Theatre of Louisville’s premises through the run of the exhibition. NOTE: If artwork is shipped, Actors Theatre of Louisville is not liable for packages during transit to and from the exhibition.
4. Any Merit Award payment will be distributed after artist has signed and returned any/all necessary forms.
NOTE: Actors Theatre retains 40% commission and charges 6% Kentucky Sales Tax on all work sold.